In just one week, one of the most important Penn State elections will be occurring: UPUA President and Vice President as well as At Large seats. President and Vice President help bring vital issues to the attention of the university, and work to facilitate change. Sapphire has decided to support the campaign of fellow Sapphire Anand Ganjam and Emily McDonald. To get more information about specific causes supported by this duo and information about their experience in UPUA, go to www.voteganjam.com.
Here are 10 fun facts about Presidential candidate Anand Ganjam!
1) He is from York, Pennsylvania – home of the Peppermint Patty!
2) He co-founded the One Heart Campaign in Spring 2012 with three other members of Sapphire. This student-led organization fights against child sexual abuse.
3) In 2013, he was elected President – of the Penn State Finance Society.
4) He has been in UPUA since his freshman year, and if elected as President, will be the longest standing member of our student government.
5) He founded the Student Financial Education Center, which opened for operation this semester, and trains Smeal College of Business students to provide financial guidance to other students.
6) This year, he chaired the Sexual Violence Prevention & Awareness and Mental Health & Wellness Roundtables and collaborated with more than 30 organizations to address student health issues at Penn State.
7) In Fall 2013, he presented to the Penn State Board of Trustees, advocating for an expansion of financial literacy resources at Penn State.
8) He played the violin and snare drum in high school.
9) He is an Eagle Scout!
10) His favorite Penn State tradition is meeting at the HUB Fish Tanks. In fact, that’s where he met many of his closest friends!
Please support our fellow Sapphire by voting Ganjam/McDonald on April 2! You can go online to www.vote.psu.edu throughout the day. Look out for reminders on the Facebook page and Twitter account!